Breaking Political News

Sqlspace has been online since 2003
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
Unread posts View first unread post University of Texas : Bombs are planted - evacuation order

in Americas

The Founder

Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:52 am

Kurious View the latest post

Unread posts View first unread post Explosives-packed car defused in London (AP)

in United Kingdom - Europe

News Buff

Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:17 am

Sandy View the latest post

Unread posts View first unread post Hurricane Evacuation: A Third Won't Go (CBS News)

in Science and Environment

News Buff

Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:37 am

News Buff View the latest post

Unread posts View first unread post Six-year-old hero of the evacuation

in Americas

rebel_lonedog

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:40 am

rebel_lonedog View the latest post

Unread posts View first unread post Hurricane Evacuation: 1/3 Might Not Go (WebMD)

in Science and Environment

News Buff

Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:45 pm

News Buff View the latest post

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:18 pm 
Professional SqlSpacer

Quote:
Berlin (CNN) -- Bomb squads in Germany successfully defused on Sunday two bombs and disposed of an additional air-dropped military device that had caused an evacuation of historic proportions in a city in the country's west.

The 45,000 evacuated residents of the city of Koblenz, situated on the Rhine and Moselle Rivers, were allowed to return home.

Workers rendered inert the two bombs, one 4,000-pound "air mine" and a smaller high-density explosive bomb. Then they destroyed a third non-explosive device by way of a controlled detonation, according to the Koblenz fire department.

The fire brigade had pre-warned the population about the controlled detonation to allay possible fears that one of the powerful bombs may have exploded.

Life had come to a standstill in the western German city of Koblenz, where 45,000 people -- nearly half of the city´s population -- had been evacuated after the discovery of several dangerous World War II bombs.

"It's the largest German evacuation since the end of the war," fire brigade spokesman Ronald Eppelsheim said Sunday.

For 65 years, the Rhine River hid two bombs and an fog-producing device that were dropped by American and British warplanes in the last years of the war. When water levels dropped to record lows last week, the bombs were finally found.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/04/world/eur ... topstories

If a bomb goes off in Germany, not only do I consider that an act of aggression by the United States, since they destroyed all continuity in German history for 50 years yet left their war machines, but it should also be considered a crime against humanity, and this time, the British and Americans should not be allowed to run and hide.

War is a biological necessity of the first importance, a regulative element in the life of mankind which cannot be dispensed with, since without it an unhealthy development will follow, which excludes every advancement of the race, and therefore all real civilization.-Friedrich von Bernhardi

What can be said for a man who would allow his home to be invaded by strangers who demanded they be fed, clothed, housed and granted the rights of the first-born? What can be said for a ruling elite that permits this to be done to the nation, and who celebrate it as a milestone of moral progress?-Pat Buchanan

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:28 pm 
Admin

Quote:
If a bomb goes off in Germany, not only do I consider that an act of aggression by the United States, since they destroyed all continuity in German history for 50 years yet left their war machines, but it should also be considered a crime against humanity, and this time, the British and Americans should not be allowed to run and hide.

Remind me not to smoke whatever you are smoking.......

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:23 pm 
Professional SqlSpacer

stick with vodka sanda, get off that smoking shit.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:05 pm 
Admin

That was a figure of speech Pauli..havent touched it in 30 yrs, or the drink for that matter. Ok..with the exception of last week when I was in Oz, I had a few glasses of homemade chocolate liquer (yes vodka based) and Im still suffering. Damn near killed me (the next day) :wink:

I just cant seem to get my head around SG thinking that old ordinance that no-one knew about should be classed as a current act of aggression.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:03 pm 
Professional SqlSpacer

If U.S. troops stay in Germany and prohibit their free action, then unexploded ordinance is simply another machine to enforce the slavery.

Are we dense, or is history a long series of acting by rational players?

Sorry Sandy, and G man, but finding an unexploded bomb and evacuating 45,000 people is a little different than discovering a rare flower... what you apparently think this is. A trophy for your false history.

War is a biological necessity of the first importance, a regulative element in the life of mankind which cannot be dispensed with, since without it an unhealthy development will follow, which excludes every advancement of the race, and therefore all real civilization.-Friedrich von Bernhardi

What can be said for a man who would allow his home to be invaded by strangers who demanded they be fed, clothed, housed and granted the rights of the first-born? What can be said for a ruling elite that permits this to be done to the nation, and who celebrate it as a milestone of moral progress?-Pat Buchanan

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:30 am 
Admin

No-one said it was a trivial thing SG, but every country that has seen war suffers from this problem. These things were taken into account by the powers that be, dont ever think they arent.
Quote:
WWII bomb in Rhine near Koblenz successfully defused

...About 600 tonnes of unexploded ordnance are discovered in Germany every year, our correspondent says. Everyone living within a 2km (1.25 mile) radius of the bomb site was ordered to leave the area.

Shelters with 12,000 beds were set up in schools to accommodate those with no other place to go. However, only 500 people were reported to have made use of them. Most residents went to stay with friends or relatives.

BBC

Quote:
Defusing Berlin's WWII bomb legacy
20 June 2011

Ralf Kirschnick gets called out several times a month to stand over a lump of death which failed to explode more than six decades ago.

His job is to make bombs safe, either by leaving a detonator and walking a long way away before exploding the whole lot, or - if it is too close to people and property - by defusing it.

BBC

For all that you relate to Germany, you seem to forget that the Soviets have only just left.
Quote:
Abandoned Soviet Outpost - Glimpses of a Forgotten, Forbidden City

Few people have heard of Wünsdorf, but it used to be the biggest military base in Europe. In the 1980s, when it was the headquarters of Soviet forces in communist East Germany, it had a population of 60,000, of whom 50,000 were soldiers.

speigel online

Quote:
A trophy for your false history.

Oh fiddlesticks. This may be a new thing and confronting thing for you, but its something that has come up repeatedly for others.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:30 am 

Thank you SG. I just spent a couple of hours reviewing how America was drug into WW2 again. Some pretty good reading

Sandy I do not get it either. I think it sucks that bombs, mines and everything are still being found and worse yet still hurting people all over the world. But I do not understand how when America was drug into the war kicking and fighting to stay out of the war it is our fault that Germany declared war on the US.

I know that Germany was pissed because under and I think it was called the lend lease act America was helping China and England with supplies and people. Most notably the flying tigers in China. But it really seemed odd that Hitler would declare war on America. Japan bombed the US and that is what got us into a war with them but we did not declare war on Germany until after they declared war on the US.

Anyway for anyone who would care to read one short article that seemed pretty informative and unbiased read this one. I found the section on the subs fascinating to say the least

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/date ... 532401.stm

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe