It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
Unread posts View first unread post Norm Coleman Conceeds

in Americas

JWAZ

Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:06 pm

busted View the latest post

Unread posts View first unread post Norm Coleman Ordered To Pay Al Franken $95K By Minnesota Cou

in Americas

JWAZ

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:50 am

JWAZ View the latest post

Unread posts View first unread post Lawsuit:Man Forced To Funnel $75,000 To Norm Coleman’s Wife

in Elections

JWAZ

Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:50 am

CSH View the latest post

Unread posts View first unread post When All Drugs Were Legal....There Wasn't a Drugs Problem

in Health

rebel_lonedog

Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:23 am

rebel_lonedog View the latest post

Unread posts View first unread post Richardson to legalize medical marijuana

in Americas

JWAZ

Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:23 pm

JWAZ View the latest post

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:12 pm 
Master Sqlspacer

Sometimes people in law enforcement will hear it whispered that I'm a former cop who favors decriminalization of marijuana laws, and they'll approach me the way they might a traitor or snitch. So let me set the record straight.

Yes, I was a cop for 34 years, the last six of which I spent as chief of Seattle's police department.

But no, I don't favor decriminalization. I favor legalization, and not just of pot but of all drugs, including heroin, cocaine, meth, psychotropics, mushrooms and LSD.

Decriminalization, as my colleagues in the drug-reform movement hasten to inform me, takes the crime out of using drugs but continues to classify possession and use as a public offense, punishable by fines.

Prohibition of alcohol fell flat on its face. The prohibition of other drugs rests on an equally wobbly foundation. Not until we choose to frame responsible drug use — not an oxymoron in my dictionary — as a civil liberty will we be able to recognize the abuse of drugs, including alcohol, for what it is: a medical, not a criminal, matter.

It's not a stretch to conclude that our Draconian approach to drug use is the most injurious domestic policy since slavery. Want to cut back on prison overcrowding and save a bundle on the construction of new facilities? Open the doors, let the nonviolent drug offenders go. The huge increases in federal and state prison populations during the 1980s and '90s (from 139 per 100,000 residents in 1980 to 482 per 100,000 in 2003) were mainly for drug convictions. In 1980, 580,900 Americans were arrested on drug charges. By 2003, that figure had ballooned to 1,678,200. We're making more arrests for drug offenses than for murder, manslaughter, forcible rape and aggravated assault combined. Feel safer?

As a nation, we're long overdue for a soul-searching, coldly analytical look at both the "drug scene" and the drug war. Such candor would reveal the futility of our current policies, exposing the embarrassingly meager return on our massive enforcement investment (about $69 billion a year, according to Jack Cole, founder and executive director of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition).

How would "regulated legalization" work? It would:

• Permit private companies to compete for licenses to cultivate, harvest, manufacture, package and peddle drugs.

• Create a new federal regulatory agency (with no apologies to libertarians or paleo-conservatives).

• Set and enforce standards of sanitation, potency and purity.

• Ban advertising.

• Impose (with congressional approval) taxes, fees and fines to be used for drug-abuse prevention and treatment and to cover the costs of administering the new regulatory agency.

• Police the industry much as alcoholic-beverage-control agencies keep a watch on bars and liquor stores at the state level. Such reforms would in no way excuse drug users who commit crimes: driving while impaired, providing drugs to minors, stealing an iPod, assaulting one's spouse, abusing one's child. The message is simple. Get loaded, commit a crime, do the time.

Regulated legalization would soon dry up most stockpiles of currently illicit drugs — substances of uneven, often questionable quality (including "bunk," i.e., fakes such as oregano, gypsum, baking powder or even poisons passed off as the genuine article). It would extract from today's drug dealing the obscene profits that attract the needy and the greedy and fuel armed violence. And it would put most of those certifiably frightening crystal meth labs out of business once and for all.

Combined with treatment, education and other public-health programs for drug abusers, regulated legalization would make your city or town an infinitely healthier place to live and raise a family.

The demand for illicit drugs is as strong as the nation's thirst for bootleg booze during Prohibition. It's a demand that simply will not dry up. Whether to find God, heighten sex, relieve pain, drown one's sorrows or simply feel good, people throughout the millenniums have turned to mood- and mind-altering substances.

They're not about to stop, no matter what their government says or does. It's time to accept drug use as a right of adult Americans, treat drug abuse as a public-health problem and end the madness of an unwinnable war.

Full Story

In the Hindu legend of the Mahabharata, the divine Krishna declared:
This is the sum of duty: Do nothing unto others which would cause you pain
if done to you.

In the Gospel of Matthew in the Christian scriptures, the messiah Jesus says:
Whatever you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

In the Buddhist text of the Udanavarga, the student is urged:
Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.

In the Muslim Hadith of al Nawawi, the prophet Mohammed teaches:
No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he
desires for himself.

In the T'ai Shang treatise of Taoism, the seeker is instructed:
Regard your neighbor's gain as your gain, and your neighbor's loss as your
own loss.

In the ancient wisdom of Shinto there is a saying: The heart of the person before you is a mirror. See there your own form.

The Oglala Lakota spiritual leader Black Elk wrote:
All things are our relatives; what we do to everything, we do to ourselves.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:20 pm 

This is going to shock all of you, I agree with him 100%

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."
-- Theodore Roosevelt

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:10 pm 
Professional SqlSpacer

i agree 100% too ... time to cut the fat .. america wastes too much money on something that cant be won .. like fighting the war on "terror" (and his brother) and the war on "drugs" .. now i havve never met "drugs" or "terror" ... but apparently these two wars cost a shitload

so lets review : to keep medicaid and soc-security from going exstinct .. something needs to change on the spending front
#1 -- cut ties with isreal
#2 - leagalize drugs

/beenie -- i'm here to help.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:57 pm 
Master Sqlspacer

I'm not pro-drugs, but I've had it with my money being wasted on things in our society which clearly don't work and won't work. i suspect with a fraction of money in health services and public education, we could accomplish a lot more, a lot less painfully. And the best part? You'd dry up soooo much gang and organized crime here and abroad. Wouldn't it be nice to drive those folks out of business?

In the Hindu legend of the Mahabharata, the divine Krishna declared:
This is the sum of duty: Do nothing unto others which would cause you pain
if done to you.

In the Gospel of Matthew in the Christian scriptures, the messiah Jesus says:
Whatever you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

In the Buddhist text of the Udanavarga, the student is urged:
Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.

In the Muslim Hadith of al Nawawi, the prophet Mohammed teaches:
No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he
desires for himself.

In the T'ai Shang treatise of Taoism, the seeker is instructed:
Regard your neighbor's gain as your gain, and your neighbor's loss as your
own loss.

In the ancient wisdom of Shinto there is a saying: The heart of the person before you is a mirror. See there your own form.

The Oglala Lakota spiritual leader Black Elk wrote:
All things are our relatives; what we do to everything, we do to ourselves.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:05 pm 

With the money provided by taxation we could do a lot too.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."
-- Theodore Roosevelt

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:13 am 
Professional SqlSpacer

Legalizing drugs takes all the fun out of them.

I'd be for legalizing naturally occuring plants such as marijuana, mushrooms, poppies, coca plant, etc.

It's when these plant get processed into harder drugs that crosses the line IMO.

How do you outlaw a plant?

Let his days be few; and let another take his office.

MrPurple 3:16

Bite me, Founder.

Stand up for SqlSpace equality!

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=67736

Go Rogue on SqlSpace with me!

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=67778

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:48 am 

CSH wrote:
This is going to shock all of you, I agree with him 100%

You are so predictable CSH, nothing you say shocks me...unless you flip out and say something like "Cowabunga dude" or something totaly out of your norm.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:30 am 
Admin

I agree also--legalize them and tax them.
Purple makes a good point it seems silly to criminalize people for thing s that grow naturally---weed, shrooms and the like. That would be like busting the gardening folks on H-GTV (No liilies of the valley for YOU!!)
But the manufactured stuff, crack, meth etc., is a different stiry. To me, that would be like Squibb or Merck manufacturing drugs with no accountability. IMHO, of course.
So to summarize; leagalize weed, and...what was the question again? :wink:

Mick

"Summer's going fast, nights growing colder...Children growing up, old friends growing older.
Freeze this moment a little bit longer...Make each sensation a little bit stronger."
--'Time Stand Still', Rush

"That some achieve great success is proof to all that others can achieve it, too."
--Abraham Lincoln

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:33 am 

Legalize the drugs, tax them highly, use the money for education and anti-drug programs.
Mr. Purple mentioned legalization would take the fun out of drugs, I see his point, perhaps once we see addicts as sick people it will wipe out the "rebelious romantic" image it holds for many young people.

-- Theodore Roosevelt