Breaking Political News

"It's been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." -- Ronald Reagan
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:11 pm 
Master Sqlspacer

Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:49pm ET170

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Owning marijuana, cocaine and even heroin will no longer be a crime in Mexico if the drugs are carried in small amounts for personal use, under legislation passed by the Congress.

Police will not penalize people for possessing up to 5 grams of marijuana, 5 grams of opium, 25 milligrams of heroin or 500 milligrams of cocaine, under a bill passed by senators late on Thursday and earlier approved by the lower house.

People caught with larger quantities of drugs will be treated as narcotics dealers and face increased jail terms under the plan.

The government says the measure allows police to focus on major drug dealers, and President Fox is expected to sign it into law.

"This law provides more judicial tools for authorities to fight crime," presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar said on Friday.

Full Story

JWAZ - I think I read a story a couple of days ago that Columbia is looking to do the same thing. They said the monetary cost are out of control and rather than show progress, they estimate production has gone up 25%. They said there is zero return on the billions they have invested and now want to handle the issue in a different way.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:40 am 
Professional SqlSpacer

Decriminilizing Marijuana - Good idea

Decriminilizing Cocaine - Are they nuts???

I have nothing against the Coca plant, it actually makes a nice tea that gives you a slight buzz. The plant should not be illegal. Turning that plant into a hard narcotic should be a very long prison sentence.

Let his days be few; and let another take his office.

MrPurple 3:16

Bite me, Founder.

Stand up for SqlSpace equality!

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=67736

Go Rogue on SqlSpace with me!

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=67778

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:09 am 
Master Sqlspacer

Its a matter of economics... they've spent (as have we) billions of dollar with NO return on their investment. I'm of the belief that if it isn't working don't just keep doing it the same way!!! Enforcement, as a controlling mechanism is a gigantic failure. Why not treat drug issues with as the medical issue this is, and create public information campaigns. They realy are effective.

In the 50s and 60s people would think nothing of having martinis with lunch, there has been a steady public awareness campaign over the years, and, for most people, drinking at lunch isn't cool anymore. Look at how effective public education has been at cutting the smoking rate?

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:03 am 
Amature SqlSpacer

JWAZ I'm inclined to agree. I've heard somewhere that to keep doing things the same way and expecting different results each time is akin to insanity.

Most folks who have made it a little way around the block will understand that for the average joe, marijuana poses little risk to society at large. It is not a performance enhancer. It should be kept out of certian industries however: such as schools, although it may help a bit in advanced courses in university such as statistics, philosophy, or the arts.

Unfortunately, I feel the same way regarding heroin, and cocaine. These are performance enhancers, incredibly addictive. But my Lord you will never feel so good in your life. Just don't sell your house for it.

There has always been a certian segment of the population that is unable to use any substance in moderation. This is unfortunate, but not the fault of society in general. The effects of these substances, the violent robberies, the prostitution, the physical effects that age people before their time, these are things we cannot really help, just keep the option open if and when these folks decide for themselves to stop using. Many of these people have a much shorter life span for a myriad of reasons, but it is IMO that this particular population is in the minority.

I dare say Mexico is showing a progressive step that will be beneficial after oil is all gone. The coke and pot will still be there. Now if only one could power a motor with these substances (Without using heroin and coke addicts to pull your car like a chariot) that would really be a scientific breakthrough!

Drugs are not to be feared, just respected. And to respect a drug you need to know what it is, what it does, and how it affects you.

For example: Crystal Meth IMO is worse than any other drug, rots you physically, mentally, emotionally-and downright makes you ugly.

Just my two cents. I know this is a controversial topic, so fire at will.

-Khmer Rouge

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:36 am 
Professional SqlSpacer

I guess my viewpoint comes more from a 'natural' vs. 'not natural' standpoint.

I cannot argue for outlawing a plant. If it exists in nature, how can you outlaw it? Now, when that plant is processed into a highly addictive drug that often ruins lives and is sold for recreational use, I think a line has been crossed.

By the strictest interpretation, this could be interpreted as I would advocate making alcohol illegal, since it is technically the result of a processed plant. The difference is that the fermentation process itself is a naturally occuring process, so there is an 'out' for alcohol in my book.

I would even give opium a pass, since it can be fairly easily collected from the bulb of the poppy and doesn't require the extensive processing that cocaine receives.

As far as 'trying something new' I think that if you followed my guidelines, the amount of manpower and resources that would be freed up from making naturally occuring forms of drugs legal you could focus on and make a bigger impact on drugs like crystal meth and coke. Additionally, if drugs like marijuana, mushrooms, peyote, and even opium were legal you may see a decrease in the demand for the illegal ones.

Mexico's plan is also only for possession of small amounts of these drugs. You'd still be in serious trouble for larger quantities. It looks more like they are laying off the end user while still being able to go after the distributors and dealers.

Let his days be few; and let another take his office.

MrPurple 3:16

Bite me, Founder.

Stand up for SqlSpace equality!

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=67736

Go Rogue on SqlSpace with me!

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=67778

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:59 pm 
Beginner

This is just another reason why we should really be having alot of beef with Mexico. This is just going to bring way more drugs into our Country. Marijuana is fine I don't see a problem with legalizing that, but I have seen the destruction Meth, heroin, and crack do to people. It's not cool. People really do change and I feel sorry if they do that alot of more people are going to get hooked and ruin there lives due to their drug addictions.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:38 pm 
Amature SqlSpacer

You know, I really wouldn't worry about some dipshit who can't handle the high.

Marijuana and Opium are two of the finest substances that can be enjoyed. Even Heroin, of which I have had the personal pleasure of trying, is an absolutely enjoyable substance. I guess I'm just not one of those "addictive personalities". I do understand the predicament Rush Limbaugh is in, Oxycontin----WWWOOOOOOOWWWW------Tried driving under the influence of Oxycontin, absolutely wild. Not recommended. Oxy 80's are where it's at, just treat it like alcohol.

Even cocaine. The problem people seem to have overall is "what it does to a few people". Not my fucking problem if you're stupid. This stuff can get expensive very fast. Now how the fuck am I responsible because some dipshit thinks coke is more important than holding down a job?

People just don't like to see other people having a good time they aren't having themselves. Life is pretty serious for some. I prefer to ignore the idiots and have a good time.

Now I am saying this with the authority of some of my friends who ARE heroin addicts. My brother is also a meth addict, and alcoholic, a coke head, and convert to Islam. It's his choice. The programs to quit are all around when he chooses to clean up. But in the meantime, I couldn't give a sweet shit how important these things are to him. I guess I'm a fucking hardass that way.

Fear of these substances is doing no one any good. Toughen up already.

-Khmer Rouge

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:06 pm 

Provocateur wrote:
You know, I really wouldn't worry about some dipshit who can't handle the high.

Marijuana and Opium are two of the finest substances that can be enjoyed. Even Heroin, of which I have had the personal pleasure of trying, is an absolutely enjoyable substance. I guess I'm just not one of those "addictive personalities". I do understand the predicament Rush Limbaugh is in, Oxycontin----WWWOOOOOOOWWWW------Tried driving under the influence of Oxycontin, absolutely wild. Not recommended. Oxy 80's are where it's at, just treat it like alcohol.

Even cocaine. The problem people seem to have overall is "what it does to a few people". Not my fucking problem if you're stupid. This stuff can get expensive very fast. Now how the fuck am I responsible because some dipshit thinks coke is more important than holding down a job?

People just don't like to see other people having a good time they aren't having themselves. Life is pretty serious for some. I prefer to ignore the idiots and have a good time.

Now I am saying this with the authority of some of my friends who ARE heroin addicts. My brother is also a meth addict, and alcoholic, a coke head, and convert to Islam. It's his choice. The programs to quit are all around when he chooses to clean up. But in the meantime, I couldn't give a sweet shit how important these things are to him. I guess I'm a fucking hardass that way.

Fear of these substances is doing no one any good. Toughen up already.

You Know, Prov, that I'm never going to disagree with individual choice. I'm behind you 100% on this (even though the hardest "drug" I have ever been influenced by is the psychadelic music of Pink Floyd :wink: ). I like what you said earlier:

Quote:
I've heard somewhere that to keep doing things the same way and expecting different results each time is akin to insanity.

Pretty much sums up the entire situation.

The only exception to the rule is that if somebody is high on something (even alcohol!) & they end up killing another person (either accidentally or intentionally) the sentance should AUTOMATICALLY be doubled.

But, I did not write the legal code, unfortunately. :roll:

Autrui c'est le Diable.
-Sartre

Image Check out Q's FAWM 2014 songs!

Check Out Q's FLOG (FAWM (B)Log)

I Am A Spirit Having A Human Experience

Et bien, tuer tous les Philosophes - ils sont tous dangereux!

Support your Local Independant Artists, Musicians & Lemonade Stands!

Q'elle'sar Sidhefire
Resident Philosopher & Bleeding Heart

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:31 pm 
Amature SqlSpacer

I do agree with the (at a very minimum) doubling of sentences. In a fantasy where I am the one writing the laws, there would be quite a few "people" getting hanged........

Edited to say:

:angel: :angel: :angel: Go Mexico! :angel: :angel: :angel:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:angel2: :angel2: :angel2: :angel2: :angel2: :angel2: :angel2:

-Khmer Rouge