Breaking Political News

"It's been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." -- Ronald Reagan
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:42 am 
Master Sqlspacer

Quote:
Eight in 10 Americans support legalizing marijuana for medical use and nearly half favor decriminalizing the drug more generally, both far higher than a decade ago.

With New Jersey this week poised to become the 14th state to legalize medical marijuana, 81 percent in this national ABC News/Washington Post poll support the idea, up from an already substantial 69 percent in 1997. Indeed the main complaint is with restrictions on access, as in the New Jersey law.

http://abcnews.go.com/PollingUnit/Polit ... 26page%3D1

Recreational drugs on the taxpayer's dime?

Its more likely than you think..

Slackvision wrote:
AlQ was built by "us" and they work for "us".
Slackvision wrote:
You're going to hell with fire and brimstone if you don't get on board with the plan.

“After seven years of an Administration that has stretched our military to the breaking point, ignored deplorable conditions at some VA hospitals, and neglected the planning and preparation necessary to care for our returning heroes, America’s veterans deserve a President who will fight for them not just when it’s easy or convenient, but every hour of every day for the next four years.”

-Barack Obama, November 12, 2007

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:12 am 
Professional SqlSpacer

As a friend of mine used to say if we were all smoking we'd have no more wars. But then again, the people not smoking might start a war and the tokers might not be able to respond adequately. If we are truly a modern society we would embrace this, but if we are indeed still primitive and barbaric we really can't afford to see the effects of marijuana in the populace in general. It comes down to a study on whether or not things really have changed over time or if the same sorts of violent patterns and mistakes are in place.

War is a biological necessity of the first importance, a regulative element in the life of mankind which cannot be dispensed with, since without it an unhealthy development will follow, which excludes every advancement of the race, and therefore all real civilization.-Friedrich von Bernhardi

What can be said for a man who would allow his home to be invaded by strangers who demanded they be fed, clothed, housed and granted the rights of the first-born? What can be said for a ruling elite that permits this to be done to the nation, and who celebrate it as a milestone of moral progress?-Pat Buchanan

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:40 pm 

TheSunGod wrote:
As a friend of mine used to say if we were all smoking we'd have no more wars. But then again, the people not smoking might start a war and the tokers might not be able to respond adequately. If we are truly a modern society we would embrace this, but if we are indeed still primitive and barbaric we really can't afford to see the effects of marijuana in the populace in general. It comes down to a study on whether or not things really have changed over time or if the same sorts of violent patterns and mistakes are in place.

SG you are assuming that pot mellows everybody. That is untrue as some people it will aggravate any violent tendencies. Booze will do the same thing.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:01 pm 
Professional SqlSpacer

Not that it mellows everybody, but that it limits your ability to act decisively. It may aggravate violent tendencies but the reaction time of that person is still less than is necessary to react to critical situations such as the man coming down on you with m-16's and f-22's(bringing the house down).

The reason for this is what I call the blanket... marijuana stores itself in fatty tissues. What it does to the brain is coats the neurons with fat and stores itself there. This fat completely coats the neurons and the more often you smoke, the thicker it is. This fat creates the need for higher concentrations of neurotransmitters for the neurons to communicate....

War is a biological necessity of the first importance, a regulative element in the life of mankind which cannot be dispensed with, since without it an unhealthy development will follow, which excludes every advancement of the race, and therefore all real civilization.-Friedrich von Bernhardi

What can be said for a man who would allow his home to be invaded by strangers who demanded they be fed, clothed, housed and granted the rights of the first-born? What can be said for a ruling elite that permits this to be done to the nation, and who celebrate it as a milestone of moral progress?-Pat Buchanan

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:26 pm 

I can understand that but what about the people who do not smoke it. I am one who thinks it should be legal but I am one who would not smoke it. I just wonder how many people would not smoke it but are ok with it being legal.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:47 pm 
Professional SqlSpacer

I can't say I'm an advocate for pot. Far from it, actually. To me its not about if or how it causes violence or not, but how it can permanently impact how the brain functions if used excessively. I've seen 2 people in my life which have been forever changed because of this drug, while its so-called advocates say its "harmless".

While it can't be directly linked to violence, it does cause extreme mood swings in many sufferers, which then can induce violent tendencies. This is usually the case when off the drug, btw. It also can cause chronic and debilitating anxiety and even leads to other mood disorders like bipolar and schizophrenia.

Honestly, people need to stop listening to the grass root lobbyists. It isn't all roses as its being portrayed.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:02 pm 

Clayphish wrote:
I can't say I'm an advocate for pot. Far from it, actually. To me its not about if or how it causes violence or not, but how it can permanently impact how the brain functions if used excessively. I've seen 2 people in my life which have been forever changed because of this drug, while its so-called advocates say its "harmless".

While it can't be directly linked to violence, it does cause extreme mood swings in many sufferers, which then can induce violent tendencies. This is usually the case when off the drug, btw. It also can cause chronic and debilitating anxiety and even leads to other mood disorders like bipolar and schizophrenia.

Honestly, people need to stop listening to the grass root lobbyists. It isn't all roses as its being portrayed.

You know Clay the same can be said for alcohol. So should we make booze illegal. I guess I am in the camp of you sh!t in your bed you sleep in it. If somebody does to much pot or booze then that is their problem. I will not try to legislate anything until their problem affects my life then it will be a law to protect me from the stupidity of others not banning it altogether.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:48 pm 
Professional SqlSpacer

Pot rarely causes aggressive behavior. In fact, I am willing to bet anyone who got violent afters smoking was also doing other things (alcohol or other drugs). I also know people who have been major smokers ever since the sixties- none of which have mental disorders or the like.

I would be curious what other things those two friends of yours have done Clay; or to know whether they have a history of family mental illness as a precursor.

Naturally, there can be too much of anything. But like Varmint said,
Quote:
I am in the camp of you sh!t in your bed you sleep in it. If somebody does to much pot or booze then that is their problem. I will not try to legislate anything until their problem affects my life then it will be a law to protect me from the stupidity of others not banning it altogether.

Keeping pot illegal only serves the war on drugs and the prison system. Time to make this and hemp legal; and it is especially time to reap the benefits of the latter.

But you can't have a budgetary solution if you don't change what the role of government should be. As long as you think we have to police the world and run this welfare state, all we are going to argue about is who will get the loot.

Patrick J. Buchanan wrote:
Free trade, the Kennedy Round of trade negotiations, the Uruguay Round, the Doha Round, NAFTA, GATT, the WTO — what they all produced is a Magna Carta of the transnational corporation, which looks longingly to the end of nation-states and the arrival of world government.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:48 pm 
Professional SqlSpacer

Kurious if you ever know anybody who smokes into their 40's and then quits, you'll understand what clay is talking about. It permanently alters your risk/reward system and permanently damages your nervous system by overstimulating it. Marijuana smokers are creatures of habit, try to take them out of their element and they're useless and repetitive.

I've been smoking on and off since I was 16... dude I've seen people really mess up their lives, marijuana kills motivation, and as such should not be encouraged in our society as a whole.