Breaking Political News

Sqlspace has been online since 2003
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
Unread posts View first unread post Attachment(s) Colorado, Washingston Legalize Marijuana

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in War on Drugs

TheSunGod

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:46 pm

Slackvision View the latest post

Unread posts View first unread post Colorado collects $2m in marijuana taxes in January

in Mainstream News

Sandy

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:47 pm

Kurious View the latest post

Unread posts View first unread post DID THEY FORGET PROHIBITION?

in Prophecies

Jinglheimer

Mon May 11, 2009 9:49 am

Jinglheimer View the latest post

Unread posts View first unread post So I was reading the Prohibition Party's platform...

in Opt In

Kurgan62

Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:27 pm

Q'elle'sar View the latest post

Unread posts View first unread post LightSquared Faces U.S. Prohibition After Interference Repor

in Business, Economics, and Finance

NewsBot

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:57 am

NewsBot View the latest post

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:07 pm 
Master Sqlspacer

By Eric W. Dolan
Thursday, December 9th, 2010 -- 1:28 pm

The only way to keep marijuana from growing in national parks is to legalize it and regulate production for consumer use, a Colorado Democrat told the US House of Representatives on Tuesday.

The House was in the midst of a debate on HR 1540, a bill which declares that the cultivation of marijuana on federal lands is an "unacceptable threat to law enforcement and to the public."

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Walter Herger (R-CA), calls on the Office on National Drug Control Policy to work with federal and state authorities to develop a strategy "to permanently dismantle Mexican drug trafficking organizations operating on federal lands."

"I think we consume far more dangerous drugs that are legal: cigarette smoking, nicotine and alcohol," Elders said. "I feel they cause much more devastating effects physically. We need to lift the prohibition on marijuana."

Data from the FBI's "Crime in the United States" report shows that in 2008 there was an average of one drug arrest every 18 seconds.

"There are two choices here: continue the failed prohibitionist policies that encourage Mexican drug cartels to keep growing marijuana on federal lands, or embrace a new path that would acknowledge the reality that marijuana is not going away, but its production and sale can be sensibly regulated in order to reduce the harm caused by its illicit production on federal lands."

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/congressman-polis-calls-marijuana-prohibition/
Quote:
The zealous drug warriors justify the war by pointing out the existence of violent gangs that run drugs -- but those drug gangs only exist because drugs are illegal. You don't see violent turf wars between Stolichnaya and Skyy, or between Miller and Budweiser because they compete the way all legitimate corporations do.

http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2010/05/drug_czar_admits_war_on_drugs.php

In the Hindu legend of the Mahabharata, the divine Krishna declared:
This is the sum of duty: Do nothing unto others which would cause you pain
if done to you.

In the Gospel of Matthew in the Christian scriptures, the messiah Jesus says:
Whatever you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

In the Buddhist text of the Udanavarga, the student is urged:
Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.

In the Muslim Hadith of al Nawawi, the prophet Mohammed teaches:
No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he
desires for himself.

In the T'ai Shang treatise of Taoism, the seeker is instructed:
Regard your neighbor's gain as your gain, and your neighbor's loss as your
own loss.

In the ancient wisdom of Shinto there is a saying: The heart of the person before you is a mirror. See there your own form.

The Oglala Lakota spiritual leader Black Elk wrote:
All things are our relatives; what we do to everything, we do to ourselves.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:43 pm 
Master Sqlspacer

Quote:
but those drug gangs only exist because drugs are illegal.

You know this is a lie right?

Have any idea how many billion dollars worth of cigarettes, ect are smuggled in every year?

Slackvision wrote:
Isis does our bidding.

Slackvision wrote:
AlQ was built by "us" and they work for "us".
Slackvision wrote:
You're going to hell with fire and brimstone if you don't get on board with the plan.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:35 pm 

Does anyone else see the hypocrisy of the left wanting less government when it comes to controlling drugs...and yet they want to control my choice of lightbulbs, foods, smoke, cars, radio and television entertainment...and my thermostat?

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:27 pm 
Master Sqlspacer

LOL - ah.... The "left" is taking away your right to choose a defective lightbulb? Those are the only things being restricted from your ability to choose... unsafe goods and foods. I guess you hold the "Left" (whatever that is) responsible for creating a safer country? Ah okay, I am happy to jump on that band-wagon. Why would you want food with e. coli or a light bulb that blows up? So this must also signal that you agree that the "right" is opposed to laws and governmental employees requiring testing and restricting foods or goods are likely to kill or harm the end user? Have you seen all the CHILDREN'S jewelry that has recently been recalled because of high Cadmium levels? What you seem to be saying is the "Right" you support would rather dangerous products were available for unsuspecting parents to buy for their little kids, for instance. Do you know how absolutely bizarre and crazy that kind of thinking sounds?

And I also think based on your words that you think its its GREAT for the government to keep pouring billions every year into trying to stop what will never be stopped instead of regulating it like any other business and restricting access and collecting TAXES. Don't you realize how much that would help with the deficit? When it comes to marijuana, there is no major harm. Statistically it's far less harmful than other things legal and obtainable in our society. These are facts... not just opinion.

Quote:
Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection
By Marc Kaufman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, May 26, 2006

The largest study of its kind has unexpectedly concluded that smoking marijuana, even regularly and heavily, does not lead to lung cancer.

The new findings "were against our expectations," said Donald Tashkin of the University of California at Los Angeles, a pulmonologist who has studied marijuana for 30 years.

"We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use," he said. "What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html

Well, if you want the right to own that legacy. Be my guest. You are on the wrong side of history, I believe.

if done to you.

desires for himself.

own loss.

In the ancient wisdom of Shinto there is a saying: The heart of the person before you is a mirror. See there your own form.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:37 pm 

JWAZ wrote:
LOL - ah.... The "left" is taking away your right to choose a defective lightbulb? Those are the only things being restricted from your ability to choose... unsafe goods and foods. I guess you hold the "Left" (whatever that is) responsible for creating a safer country? Ah okay, I am happy to jump on that band-wagon. Why would you want food with e. coli or a light bulb that blows up? So this must also signal that you agree that the "right" is opposed to laws and governmental employees requiring testing and restricting foods or goods are likely to kill or harm the end user? Have you seen all the CHILDREN'S jewelry that has recently been recalled because of high Cadmium levels? What you seem to be saying is the "Right" you support would rather dangerous products were available for unsuspecting parents to buy for their little kids, for instance. Do you know how absolutely bizarre and crazy that kind of thinking sounds?

And I also think based on your words that you think its its GREAT for the government to keep pouring billions every year into trying to stop what will never be stopped instead of regulating it like any other business and restricting access and collecting TAXES. Don't you realize how much that would help with the deficit? When it comes to marijuana, there is no major harm. Statistically it's far less harmful than other things legal and obtainable in our society. These are facts... not just opinion.

Quote:
Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection
By Marc Kaufman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, May 26, 2006

The largest study of its kind has unexpectedly concluded that smoking marijuana, even regularly and heavily, does not lead to lung cancer.

The new findings "were against our expectations," said Donald Tashkin of the University of California at Los Angeles, a pulmonologist who has studied marijuana for 30 years.

"We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use," he said. "What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html

Well, if you want the right to own that legacy. Be my guest. You are on the wrong side of history, I believe.

JWAZ, unlike you...I am for freedom, freedom of choice, freedom to fail, freedom to succeed. I am for small government, period. So give me the supposed unsafe items including pot. I believe that all people should have the freedom to choose on all things that don't injure others. Yes but you only want big government regulated imaginary freedoms...so you can smoke pot and kill babies...you really need to stop pretending you are for freedom. The left used to stand for "liberal" ideas...now they just stand for big intrusive government.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:49 pm 
Master Sqlspacer

Quote:
JWAZ, unlike you...I am for freedom, freedom of choice, freedom to fail, freedom to succeed. I am for small government, period. So give me the supposed unsafe items including pot. I believe that all people should have the freedom to choose on all things that don't injure others. Yes but you only want big government regulated imaginary freedoms...so you can smoke pot and kill babies...you really need to stop pretending you are for freedom. The left used to stand for "liberal" ideas...now they just stand for big intrusive government.

Number one: freedom of choice implies having knowledge of what is dangerous so you could CHOOSE to stay away. Laws and testing gives us factual information.

Number two: Your are deluding yourself if you still believe that Republicans, IN ACTUALITY, work towards small government when they have power.

Yes, I know they SAY they are for small government, but statistically, when they have power, the budget increases.

Number Three: "I believe that all people should have the freedom to choose on all things that don't injure others." Ah.. something we agree on. Hallelujah.

Number Four: "Killing babies" I don't believe abortion is right. But, unlike the "Right", I believe that should be the CHOICE (which you are so fond of saying you want) for each woman to make for herself.

if done to you.

desires for himself.

own loss.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:12 pm 

JWAZ wrote:
Number one: freedom of choice implies having knowledge of what is dangerous so you could CHOOSE to stay away. Laws and testing gives us factual information.

Your concern, and those other big government types delude themselves into believing they are helping us poor, stupid, unelightened people who if given the chance will kill themselves with a 40 watt bulb, or by driving a combustion engine, or by eating trans fats...keep your elitist concerns to yourselves and let us live as we may. You cannot tell me that elimination of incandescent bulbs is important to our safety, and at the same time be in favor of legalizing pot. I smoked pot for a number of years and it is far more dangerous to a person than a lightbulb.

JWAZ wrote:
Number two: Your are deluding yourself if you still believe that Republicans, IN ACTUALITY, work towards small government when they have power.

You are right...the current Republican leadership is just as dangerous to freedom as the democrats.

JWAZ wrote:
Number Three: "I believe that all people should have the freedom to choose on all things that don't injure others." Ah.. something we agree on. Hallelujah.

How do you square that with your desire, and the lefts desire to micromanage people's lives? If I have an incandescent bulb in my house it is injuring no one. If I choose to eat transfats, or smoke cigarettes, or tear the tag off my mattress who am I injuring?

JWAZ wrote:
Number Four: "Killing babies" I don't believe abortion is right. But, unlike the "Right", I believe that should be the CHOICE (which you are so fond of saying you want) for each woman to make for herself.

I detest abortion. It is killing another human, not making a choice. But I do live in a representative republic and have to accept the will of the people. Unfortunately we don't know what the will of the people is because the judges have decided for us rather than letting the states decide.